Sun FM News

Contact the News Team:
Tel: 0191 548 77 99

Ant McPartlin given driving ban and £86k fine

Ant McPartlin given driving ban and £86k fine

3:36pm 16th April 2018
(Updated 5:52pm 16th April 2018)

TV presenter Ant McPartlin has been fined £86,000 and banned from driving for 20 months after pleading guilty to drink-driving.

The star, who earns £130,000 a week, said he was "truly sorry" for driving while more than twice the legal limit and causing a crash which left a family thinking they were going to die.

The 42-year-old was driving with his mother through Richmond, west London, when he crashed his Mini into two other cars on 18 March.

Prosecutor Katie Sinnett-Jones told Wimbledon Magistrates' Court that the incident happened when McPartlin drove around a "sharp bend and lost control", then ended up on the wrong side of the road.

He collided with another Mini Cooper before driving "straight into the front of an oncoming car".

The court heard that the host had been seeking help for "alcohol and emotional issues" at the time following the breakdown of his marriage.

The driver of the other Mini said afterwards that he thought he and his family were going to die in the collision.

In a statement read in court by Ms Sinnett-Jones, the driver said: "Myself and my family were in deep shock as we believed we could have died as as a result of Mr McPartlin's reckless driving."

McPartlin was breathalysed at the scene and found to have 75 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath. The legal limit is 35 microgrammes.

"Anthony McPartlin is sorry and is doing everything he can to ensure this never happens again," McPartlin's barrister, Liam Walker, said.

"He hopes that in time he can make himself better and that he might be forgiven by all of the many people he knows and he feels he has let down terribly."

McPartlin's fine works out to about 4.5 days' pay.

Speaking briefly outside court after the sentencing, the TV presenter said: "I just want to say I'm truly sorry for what happened.

"High standards are expected of me, I expect them of myself. I've let myself down, I let a lot of people down. And for that I am truly sorry.

"I'd like to apologise to everybody involved in the crash and I'm just thankful no one was seriously hurt."

After McPartlin, of Chiswick, west London, was charged, ITV announced the Saturday Night Takeaway host would step back from his TV commitments, with co-presenter Declan Donnelly presenting the final two episodes of the show on his own.

McPartlin appeared alongside Donnelly on TV screens over the weekend as Britain's Got Talent aired its pre-recorded audition shows.

But ITV has confirmed Donnelly will be hosting the live shows without his TV partner of almost 30 years.

Share This Story

Submit this page to reddit
Suggested articles
'A sweet man': Stars pay tribute to Dale Winton

'A sweet man': Stars pay tribute to Dale Winton

Davina McCall has been leading tributes after the death of TV presenter Dale Winton.

Kanye West writes philosophy book 'in real time' on Twitter

Kanye West writes philosophy book 'in real time' on Twitter

Hip hop star Kanye West has broken his 11-month Twitter silence to write a philosophy book "in real time" in a bid to satisfy his "innate need to be expressive".

Most read
TV presenter Dale Winton has died aged 62, agent confirms

TV presenter Dale Winton has died aged 62, agent confirms

TV host Dale Winton has died at the age of 62, the star's agent has said.

DJ Avicii found dead in Oman aged 28, his publicist confirms

DJ Avicii found dead in Oman aged 28, his publicist confirms

Music producer and DJ Avicii has been found dead in Oman at the age of 28, his publicist has said.

Newer article

Bill Cosby retrial: Accuser Andrea Constand denies framing TV star

Showbiz: A Canadian basketball star who is the chief accuser in Bill Cosby's retrial has denied she is framing the comedian for sexual assault.

Older article

Officer reveals why he told BBC about Cliff Richard raid

Showbiz: A retired police officer who gave a BBC reporter information about a raid on Sir Cliff Richard's house has told a court that he felt "forced" to tell him about the search.

Top articles

'Hundreds of job losses' at Nissan

Local: Brexit is not connected to the changes say bosses.

New 'phone boxes' spark privacy and surveillance concerns

National: If you live in London or Leeds, you may have already spotted one on a street corner near you.

Suspected stalker found sleeping at Taylor Swift's home after break-in

Showbiz: A suspected stalker broke into Taylor Swift's New York City home and took a nap, police have said.

'Proud' Mesut Ozil pays tribute to Arsene Wenger and Arsenal impact

Sport: Mesut Ozil has declared himself "proud" to have played under Arsene Wenger, who he says played a key role in bringing him to Arsenal.

Holy guacamole! Man jailed for 50 years for million-dollar fajita theft

World: A former juvenile detention centre employee has been jailed for 50 years after stealing $1.2m (£974,000) worth of fajitas over a period of nine years.

Holy guacamole! Man jailed for 50 years for million-dollar fajita theft

Strange News: A former juvenile detention centre employee has been jailed for 50 years after stealing $1.2m (£974,000) worth of fajitas over a period of nine years.

Sky News LogoThis article © Sky News.

Facebook instagram logo  Twitter youtube icon   app icon 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sun FM Facebook

 

Sun FM Twitter

 

 

 facebook  instagram logo twitter youtube icon

Login

Become a Sun FM VIP

Copyright Sun FM Limited 2018

Sun FM accepts no responsibility for the content of external sites.

Sun FM is proud to be part of the UKRD Group of radio stations.

UKRD LOGO